the squarewave parade the squarewave parade
Tascam 238 runaway capstan

view previous topic . view next topic  

ceej

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:11 pm   Tascam 238 runaway capstan reply with quote

I purchased a Tascam 238 with the runaway capstan. Well, I didn't know it at the time. When I received it, the reel motor was unscrewed and floating around the inside with the wires broken. Easy fix I think! I found a few screws at the hardware store and soldered the wires back on. After pressing play, the tape made it to the end in about 3 minutes. Something was wrong with this ebay purchase. Checking through a few forums I came to a post pointing here. The 238 shares a version of the 122mkii capstan motor it appears. I had a few caps around and said "why not?" The only 2 I didn't have were the 3.3's. Changed with the ones I had, repaired the pads I rippped off while trying to unsolder them, cleaned the cap leaks and cold joints. Pulled off one of the 3.3's and tested it. Had a high esr and close enough to 3.3uf. I vowed to replace them both later. Pressed the power button and BAM! It works great.

Thank you for posting the guide and values of the caps with pictures! Out of all the sites I searched and read until my fingers could type no more, this was the best and really the only one needed.

Thanks,
Ceej.

-

para
.. . ..

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:36 pm   reply with quote

glad i could help.

steven

-
display previous:   
post new topic   reply to topic    index . . . ... ... . ..... ... GMT - 5 Hours
page 1 of 1

jump to.