the squarewave parade the squarewave parade
Movies
goto page 1, 2, 3  next

view previous topic . view next topic  

exuviae
mod

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:11 pm   Movies reply with quote

Well, it seems that a lot of folks around here dig movies, so I thought a thread about them would be fun.

My wife and I are junkies for the shit. Have been for years. Everything from Hollywood "Entertainment Value-Only" types to the driest of independent dramas. We aren't genre specific at all, though we both tend to dislike musicals and "chick-flicks".

A couple of recent, memorable ones are:

Into The Wild - I knew only three things about this film before I saw it.
1. Sean Penn directed it,
2. The guy from Creepshow (Hal Holbrook) was supposed to have turned in the performance of a lifetime in it.
3. Some guy moves to the Alaskan wildreness.
That's all I knew.
Wow.
I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't seen it and knows as much or less than I did about it - keep it that way and give it a view. Not many films hit home like this, at least for me.

The Mist - I didn't know any more about this film than the trailers had divulged. To this day and forevermore, I will be thankful for that. The pacing, suspense and acting (despite being a "monster movie") were all right there for me for the whole rather lengthy running time. The last 5 minutes of this movie turned my soul inside out. It's easy to find spoilers online or have dickhead friends ruin movies before you get to see them and sometimes that's okay - cuz lots of movies suck. I was veeeeery lucky in this case.

All this being said, I realize my tastes/opinions may differ, as others will as well, I just thought it would be fun to initiate a thread about something I strongly enjoy and know that others do as well!

Let's hear from y'all!

.b

-

opsysbug

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:30 pm   reply with quote

Yea ! Into the wild. What a weird feeling of freedom...

-

para
.. . ..

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:10 am   reply with quote

just list good movies? that would take days love1

any style that you're after?

s

-

exuviae
mod

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:43 am   reply with quote

Naw, I figured we could just talk about movies in general. Loves, hates, anticipation, actors, suggestions, wishes, preferences, etc. Just a general free-for all.

Neil LaBute - a director whose early films were painfully rewarding and fascinating to watch (In The Company of Men, Your Friends and Neighbors, The Shape of Things), has seemingly turned his back on his roots in favor of big hollywood films. This would be fine with me, if the projects he chose weren't so lame. Remake of The Wicker Man - come on, dude...you can't improve on perfect. And recently, Lakeview Terrace - eesh.
Another dead soldier Sad

Anyone else a former fan?

.b

-

otto_tsr

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:57 am   reply with quote

where to begin!?!?

BLACK AND WHITE

-the 39 steps (hitchcock)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026029/

-le feu follet (louis malle)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057058/
there is a bunch of old frenchfilms that are just fantastic!
hard genre to get into though.

-13, tzameti (géla babluani)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475169/
really really nice movie. watch it before hollywood gets around for
the remake, which has alexander skarskård and 50cent in it.
the original shouldn´t be messed with!

-calamari union (aki kaurismäki)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087020/
i would say that almost everything you can find with
either of the kaurismäki brothers (aki has a brother mika)
is worth a watch... i could list a few that should be watched.

ODD MOVIES

-marquis (henri xhoneux)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097839/
it´s strange alright. i thought "meet the feebles" was wierd.

well, have to eat breakfast now. film junky as well.

-

opsysbug

Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:24 am   reply with quote

"Departures"-from Japan. Won best foreign film at the big O's this year.
should be out on vid this summer. Amazing !

-

exuviae
mod

Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:52 am   reply with quote

-13, tzameti (géla babluani)
YES! forgot about this one. Shocking and beautiful at the same time. Had no idea they were going to do a US remake, but of course they will and they'll likely get it "wrong".

Speaking of awesome foreign films getting destroyed thru US remakes - aren't they also planning to butcher "Oldboy" as well at some point? This is a travesty, as Park's whole trilogy (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance) is an astounding accomplishment in the study of humanity and violence. Right, wrong and everything in between. Yet, somehow, manages a keen sense of humor in the midst of things that really aren't "funny" as it were.

And then, there's Takashi Miike - oh where oh where to begin Wink
I guess my opinion of his work, as well as my wife's can be summed up by this simple fact: we named our youngest kitten Miike.
personal favorites: Audition, Ichi The Killer and Gozu.

.b

-

otto_tsr

Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:06 pm   reply with quote

visitors q.

-

para
.. . ..

Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:55 pm   reply with quote

this is good, some things i haven't seen yet!!!!!!!! respect for directors!!!? i feel like i've been living on Io out here

the hallway scene in oldboy........

i've seen a few things from takashi miike a while back - audition, ichi and three extremes. the trailer for visitor q looks interesting

just a little personal note, most of what i watch/listen to these days is via hulu and netflix and i watch it 'over my shoulder' while working so subtitles in this situation are inconvenient

s

-

para
.. . ..

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:58 am   reply with quote

how about your "its been a shitty few months" but maybe life’s not as completely fucked after all films? you can PM me if they are as embarrassing as some of mine colors

“standing on a whale, fishing for minnows“

-

otto_tsr

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:37 am   reply with quote

i watched Departures last night. great film!

it got me thinking of a korean movie "daytime drinking"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1277938/

visitors q. the most extreme takashi miike i´ve seen. and it is has milk in it. which seems to be something miike like to put in his movies, hehe.

Anime anyone?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higashi_no_Eden
i tend to stop watching a lot of anime be cause a lot of anime is just bad. but this one has really stuck to me... also 11episodes. only.

-

exuviae
mod

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:18 am   reply with quote

para wrote.
quote.
how about your "its been a shitty few months" but maybe life’s not as completely fucked after all films? you can PM me if they are as embarrassing as some of mine colors

if I am interpreting this correctly...films that make you realize you own toils and issues aren't nearly what they could be and you should be grateful it isn't worse? if so, I watch "The Bad Lieutenant" every few years for this exact purpose.

if it means movies that simply lift your spirits due to their stupid tone and are oftentimes kinda embarrassing to admit - then I confess to:
Galaxy Quest, Mystery Men, Beverly Hills Ninja, The Apple Dumpling Gang

Ah, yes, Miike and "milk" - and then there's the birthing scene in Gozu.

Steven mentioned Three Extremes, which I loved - despite finding Miike's entry the weakest of the three - that may have been because his went for atmosphere and "Dumplings" was such a cock-kicker right out of the gate. eesh...

-

para
.. . ..

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:16 am   reply with quote

"just one look at your ass" not where i was going with that but in that direction goodfellas wins hands down for me, the wind up at the end

for anime my taste is probably a bit pedestrian: gits, bebop, flcl, eva, lain, tekkon kincreet (so fucking good), steamboy, wings of honneamise, advent children, samari champloo (the new flying lotus is fantastic btw), the littles, rocky and bullwinkle, pink panther, that one with the teddy bear suits and the red bike

The Apple Dumpling Gang? i recently caught the reluctant astronaut

-

para
.. . ..

Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:14 am   reply with quote

sunshine

brick

the prestige

-

exuviae
mod

Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:16 am   reply with quote

para wrote.
quote.
sunshine

brick

the prestige

God Damn! What a trio of excellent and "outside the box" movies.

Sunshine, to me, was everything that Event Horizon should have been - Alex Garland is an amazing writer.

Brick is something unto itself. Not the most original plotline, not the most original setting or scenery, but the dialogue style, and the general method of the way the film was shot and the way it played out stands alone as far as I have seen.

The Prestige still sticks with me in that I've seen it a couple of times and I still don't belive I truly know "all the answers" to it's mystery. I read somehwere online that some consider the whole film itself to be one big sleight-of-hand or magic trick. I think that's the best summary. Christopher Nolan is up there with my favorites.

Speaking of "outside the box" and " I still don't truly understand..." - anyone have an opinion on Primer? I have only seen it once and I think I have the basics down, but I've been thinking I should see it again. It's pretty sneaky...

-
display previous:   
goto page 1, 2, 3  next
page 1 of 3

jump to.